2019 AES Fellows Program
The American Epilepsy Society Fellows program provides support for clinical and postdoctoral fellows to attend the AES Annual Meeting where they benefit from mentorship, networking, and professional development programs. Several of the professional development programs are open to all AES attendees, not solely those accepted into the AES Fellows Program. The Fellows Program is unrelated to the FAES program (Fellow of the American Epilepsy Society).
Applications will open in Summer 2020 for the 2020 Fellows Program. Please check back in April 2020 for instructions. An application form and a nomination form will be required. Only one Fellow may be nominated per program.
Fellows accepted to the program participate in targeted programming starting on Thursday evening at the AES Annual Meeting.
- A $750 travel stipend and complimentary registration to attend the AES Annual Meeting
- Complimentary one-year AES membership
- Mentorship at the AES Annual Meeting, matched by professional interest
- Networking and mentorship sessions other senior leaders and peers
- Professional development sessions and access to the rich educational and scientific content of the AES Annual Meeting
Approximately 100 fellows from institutions in the US and Canada will be accepted, including clinical fellows in approved epilepsy, clinical neurophysiology, or neurosurgery fellowship programs and up to 15 postdoctoral research fellows and trainees with advanced degrees in professional fields related to nursing, pharmacology, pharmacy, psychology, and basic science.
Fellows Program Criteria and Instructions
- Clinical Fellow applicants must be enrolled in an ACGME-approved fellowship program or other eligible training at an institution in the US or Canada at the time of the Annual Meeting. Residents and medical students are not eligible to participate.
- Nominations for clinical fellows must be submitted by the fellowship program director. Only one fellow may be nominated per program. Clinical fellows may be in epilepsy, clinical neurophysiology, or neurosurgery programs, though preference will be given to programs with an emphasis on epilepsy. Institutions with clearly distinct adult and pediatric fellowship programs may submit one nomination from each program.
- Postdoctoral research fellows or other trainees (Ph.D. or equivalent advanced degree) in nursing, pharmacology, pharmacy, psychology, basic science and other relevant fields must be nominated by their mentors and are considered separately. Only one applicant may be nominated per mentor and/or department.
- Please do not apply if you participated in a previous year in the AES Fellows program or if you have received support this year through an AES early career grant or fellowship. Additionally, you cannot accept a spot in the Fellows program and also receive an AES abstract travel award. This eligibility policy is to ensure that AES financial support is distributed across numerous trainees in the field. We encourage all trainees to attend the open professional development sessions organized as part of the Fellows program and offered on Friday and Saturday morning at AES 2020.
- Abstract submission to the AES Annual Meeting is not required for participation. However, nominees giving presentations or displaying posters at the meeting will be given priority, particularly for the postdoctoral spots.
- Applicants should not register for the 2020 Annual Meeting until they have received notification regarding whether they have been accepted to the AES Fellows Program. Notifications will be sent in time for applicants to receive the Early-Bird Registration pricing for the meeting.
- Accepted participants in the AES Fellows Program receive a $750 travel stipend at the Annual Meeting, complimentary meeting registration, and a one-year AES trainee membership.
- If chosen to participate in the AES Fellows Program you MUST attend the AES Annual Meeting and the mentorship and training sessions starting the evening of December 3, 2020, and continuing at 7am on Friday, December 4, 2020.
- The AES Fellows Junior Investigators Professional Development Committee will select the Fellows Program participants. Notifications will be sent out via email.
Please send all inquiries about the 2020 Fellows Program to Jennifer Brummet.
AES would like to thank the following groups for their support of the 2019 AES Fellows program:
- Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Supernus Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Greenwich Biosciences, Inc.
- Upsher-Smith Laboratories, Inc.
- SK Life Science, Inc.