Career Skills: How to Negotiate
Organizers: Adam Hartman, MD and Afsaneh Talai, MD
Speaker: Barbara Vickrey, MD
Breakout Session Leaders:
- Dave Auerbach, PhD, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
- Kelly Knupp MD, Children’s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, CO
- Norman So, MD, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
- Laura Jansen, MD PhD, Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
- Josef Parvizi, MD, PhD, Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- Scott Demarest MD, Children’s Hospital Colorado, Aurora, CO
- Pin-Yi Ko, MD, Seattle Children’s Hospital, Seattle, WA
Following participation in this activity, participants will be able to:
- Implement important skills learned to confidently negotiate an ideal offer from their future employer
This presentation helps participants strengthen their negotiation skills to better prepare for important conversations that impact your job conditions, advancement opportunities, and the overall arc of your career.
Negotiation is a critical skill that will serve you throughout your career. This session will provide guidance and training on the art of negotiation as you pursue your next employment opportunity in the many fields of epilepsy. Through interactive breakout sessions with AES members representing a variety of career paths, you’ll learn about the many aspects of negotiation, including how to get protected time, lab space, a fair salary, and more.